Who may be involved in supporting a child on the Autism spectrum?


A family’s role in raising a child with Autismcan be endless, and includes advocating for their child and trying to find the best possible care, to supporting their child when they try tocommunicate their feelings and cope with situations.Families can understand the causes of the behaviour and may develop corresponding solutions and strategies. But families alone cannot guide and support a child with Autism. There are many organisations and professionals within the community that support children and families, and create opportunities for children to be involved in activities and events. Some of the professionals include:

Educators –provide high quality education where every child is viewed as a capable learner.

Inclusion supportservices eg KU–The Inclusion Support Programme helps  services include children with additional needs alongside their peers, by providing tailored inclusion advice and support from Inclusion Agencies and access to specialist equipment and funding to support more challenging inclusion barriers where required.

Paediatricians–Will make a diagnosis of Autism made on the basis of careful observations of a child’s behaviour.

Psychologists ‘psychs’–Support children who are finding it hard to manage their emotions by introducing new thinking,and teaching new skills and behaviours. This can be done in groups or by themselves. They also guide families on how best to support their child.

Speech Pathologists/ ‘speechies’ – Support a child’ to communicate. They can find out if a child is learning how to talk at the same rate as other children and help if there are problems with speech sounds/ words or the way they talk to different people.

Local area coordinator National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)– Help participants and families to get the support they need.

Occupational Therapists/ ‘OTs’–Help children cope with or understand the environment eg fussy eaters, loud sounds. They can also help with things like toilet training, sleeping, getting dressed, playing with others, learning gross and fine motor skills like writing, cutting, climbing and jumping.

Social Workers– Help people cope with problems and support them in difficult times. They can provide counselling and emotional support, as well as practical support eg accessing social services.

Audiologists –Are specialists who can diagnose many types of hearing problems, and improve hearing for people of all ages.

Physiotherapists/’physios’– Help people of all ages to move and function better.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *